The M/V LOTUS Foundation
On this page, you will find information for:
1. VOLUNTEERS & MEMBERSHIP
Our VIPs – Volunteers in Partnership, work every day to keep LOTUS beautiful and viable. Join us!
Volunteer Opportunities with the M/V Lotus Foundation
Our Mission – The Restoration, Preservation, and Funding of the M/V LOTUS, and the Education of all to the importance of the M/V LOTUS in the Maritime History of the Pacific Northwest.
We open Lotus to the public more than half the year to share her history and offer the experience of living in a 1909 cruising houseboat.
We endeavor to live in the simplicity of that era and to share our knowledge of historic household improvements at the turn of the century. It is our intent to encourage the basic skills and non toxic content of keeping a household and crew without plastic or chemicals; we serve organic fare to our crew and guests and encourage a conservative use of non replaceable and non essential products.
Since 2003, The M/V Lotus Foundation has been a volunteer powered organization. Today, over 500 volunteers have contributed on a regular basis to support our mission of maintaining and funding the M/V Lotus. Volunteers help with virtually every aspect of M/V Lotus operations and lead many of its most missioncentric programs such as free public tours of Lotus, stories of her history, and, sharing the life of a cruising household and her crew through our Edwardian Maritime Experience programs and opportunities to develop both Stewardship experience and Crew skills
The M/V Lotus Foundation offers a variety of volunteer opportunities. Adult volunteers are 18 years and older, while our youth program invites people ages 12 – 17 to get involved.
Become a Volunteer:
Have a Question?
Please type VOLUNTEER QUESTION in the subject line of your email.
● Keep the boat ship shape and clean.
● Fund raise
● Participate in maintenance inside and outside.
● Support our visitors and guests i.e. tea and toilets. We hope you will participate in Work Parties, Special Events, Fund Raising Dinners and Visitor Services.We invite you to participate in our Advisory committees and help develop events and further programming.Of course the special skills you bring are of particular interest to the whole group and program – please ask to do anything you see that needs doing! We hope you will decide to make a commitment of time to the MV Lotus – 1 day a week or 1 day a month it all adds up!After 40, 80 & 100 hours + of service we hope you will want to step up to learning additional skills that let you participate as deck, dock or engine room crew.
Learning these skills will make you an even more invaluable part of our organization and crew as we transit to other ports for events and scheduled Open Boat Tours.
● Lotus Stewards start as a tour guide / docent.
● We share the history of the boat daily and you will learn by listening mostly.
● We do have cheat sheets of facts, a history handout and quite a lot of information will be available to you on line at our Goggle Docs Volunteer Account.You will also learn how we:
Updated: March 25, 2023